Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Coming up for air

We’ve been calling this The Summer of Many Deadlines here. It’s been a busy one, and I’m a bit shell-shocked as I realise I’m almost there. The two novel lengths are done, and my August schedule looks a lot more manageable than the last 3 or 4 months has been.

Now I could really do with a holiday. :) We're not going away until the end of September, however but there will be some reward trips out soon.

If you’re a regular reader of my blog you’ll know I warned that July was going to be a busy month in terms of publications. I had a bunch of stories in anthologies that all seemed to come out at once. I’ve just posted about the final July publication. August sees a couple of reprints, including an erotica collection, (more on that later today) but you will not be deluged. It was kind of amusing to have so many at once, because it made me look a lot more prolific than I really am. lol!

So… I’ve been peeping out at the internet a bit more than I have been able to recently. I’m finding Twitter a bit overwhelming at the moment, which is a shame cos I love it there. Every time I log in I find a bunch of authors telling other authors how to behave. Be chatty, be sparkly, don’t do this, do that, and best of all don’t listen to other authors telling you how to do things. Hmm. It gets kind of confusing :o)

It must be incredibly hard for new authors to come online and find all this stuff. When I started out it was hard to find information, now there’s so much it is overwhelming!

I’m the last person to give advice, but I will say you have to find your own way in this business --> that’s all part of the experience. There’s no magic formula because everybody’s path is different and trying to emulate someone else’s path won’t necessarily work. And…never forget that the writing is the most important thing you do. Enjoy it!