Thursday, July 29, 2010

US versus UK covers: Mammoth Book of Threesomes & Moresomes

Here's a fascinating one. The Mammoth Book of Threesomes has just been published in the UK. Yay! It publishes Stateside in November. I'm excited, I have a story in this collection! (More on that another day.)

Check out the yummy covers. The US is on the left, UK on the right. Personally I like them both, but I do think the US cover would be more likely to haul me across a shop to look at it more closely. That's because of the bold eye contact, (always draws me in) the full cover layout, and that dramatic title strap which naughtily suggests both bondage and censorship to me. The UK cover is softer, but it's beautiful in it's own way. Does it indicate the UK is more open to f/f/m, I wonder? Personally, I think we probably are. In the British erotica I grew up reading f/f scenes are fairly common, not so much Stateside. Of course some of us are doing our damndest to change that situation. Ahem. Grin.


6 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

Both gorgeous! Interesting to compare though...

In Black Lace f/f experimentation scenes used to be a common ingredient that nobody batted an eyelid at.

But in US erotic romance/women's erotica f/f isn't seen very much, as a rule, is it?

Saskia Walker said...

Yes! The Black lace books were so good at capturing the erotic journey, including that vital experimentation angle of sexual fantasy. Especially the books published in the 90's.

Perhaps the difference is because the US published erotica from the big publishers is more focused on the romantic outcome. Spice have published at least one Spice Brief with f/f/m and I see Eden Bradley’s forthcoming novel THE LOVERS is f/f/m. Maybe the tide is turning, if only a little.

I had a couple of reviewers squeal at the f/f scenes I snuck into Rampant, (and one said she couldn't read on!) but mostly it’s been positive (..or glossed over/ignored. ;o)

Author Casey Sheridan said...

I like both covers as well, but the cover with everyone looking out at me, makes me want to pick it up and flip through it.

F/f/m pieces are hard to sell to publishers here in the US. I have one I'm trying to sell and have been turned down. I refuse to give up!

Saskia Walker said...

The eye contact on that US cover really works, doesn't it!

Good luck with that sub, Casey. You're right to keep trying. The next editor might love it. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Vegetarian Cannibal said...

I refuse to give up on on f/f! I am in the movement to make f/f as popular as m/m or die trying in the process! I have a few f/f accepted in small press pubs...but oy! It's a tough sell.

Being a bisexual author, it's really disheartening at times but I'm not going to give up or sell out! F/F all the way, baby!

Saskia Walker said...

Go VC! There are some great pansexual publishers out in there in indy press, we just need the big guys to loosen up a bit. ;-) I've worked with both Cleis and Bold Strokes and love their books. And I see Radclyffe just picked up a PRISM erotica award for Secrets in the Stone. Must put this one on my tbr!