Monday, February 12, 2007

What inspires you?

I recently caught sight of this still from the forthcoming film STARDUST (based on Neil Gaiman’s book of the same name.) It’s Michelle Pfeiffer in her role as Lamia, and the image alone made me want to write a new fantasy story. My first two fantasy novels have been about women who become empowered across the course of the story. Next time around, I think I’ll be writing a heroine who is a warrior from the outset. Yes, I love the image!

This is the sort of thing that gets my creative energies up and running, an image that stirs some emotion, a captured moment or memory. I’m just writing up my thoughts on the inspiration behind THE STRANGELING, for an Idea Boutique slot later this week. It made me realise that inspiration seems to come from the tiniest of sparks for me, idea seeds often planted years before that are just waiting to burst into growth. I rarely if ever use the “What if” question, except maybe when I need a new twist mid story. The Idea Boutique has been a great experience for me, because it makes me think in detail about where the stories ideas came from and analyse that a bit in terms of my writing process. I’m going to try to post a bit more about that here from now on as I write.

I never got my “Wednesday is for writers” blog posts up and running again, for which I apologise to those of you who called by for that. I’ve had a difficult 3 or 4 months for various reasons, and I felt the need to draw back a bit from the “extra” stuff for a while. The main cutback is that I am no longer blogging with the Berkley babes, alas, but something had to give here because REAL LIFE was saying to me “sort your priorities, lady.” Bottom line, the writing has to come first. That said, things are running somewhat more smoothly now, thank goodness.

So, I plan to talk more about my creative process and the business of writing, here at home on shady lane, not restricted to one day a week, but when I mention a new project, or as it progresses. I’ll use the new blogger labelling system to highlight those posts "writing" in case that’s what visitors are looking for. Sounds a bit more organised, doesn’t it! LOL

Oh my, looking at my last post I guess I am the only one who remembers Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion, old lady that I am. LOL

Have a great Monday!