Saturday, June 24, 2006

The business of writing

The business of writing takes up so much time! I’m not talking about the writing itself, but the other stuff. Admin stuff. When I was a wannabe full time writer (in my spare time,) I just wrote and subbed... oh, and yeah, dealt with rejection. ;) When the tide turned and I got to grips with the necessary skill set, (the stories were always there for me, but I was missing important writing skills,) I started to sell more. We made the decision to go for it and I became a full time writer. I’ve noticed recently how much other stuff there is to do, outside of the actual writing. I’m not complaining, it’s all good stuff. Exciting, too, but it amazed me. I had this vision of writing, all day. Uhu. Ha! That’s the dream. As writers who are being published we need to deal with all sorts of paraphernalia, from revisions to contracts to fed ex to promo to hunting down reviewers and publicity. And much more. Phew...

All good. I used to dream of getting up to an email from an editor, one day. Now, it's an almost daily event. The dream came true. Imagine that...some cynics told me I'd never make it happen. So (insert rude sign) to them, ay LOL Take heart in that, aspiring writers out there, and keep your dream alive.

Back to the point. For me, (and others who work like me,) the admin is magnified by the fact I work for so many different editors and publishers. But I like that, it gives me the variety of outlets I need to stay fresh. Honestly, I couldn’t be happier, right now I’m writing fantasy and contemporary, both with romantic and erotic elements. As I switch from one to the other I’m refreshed by the different genres. The shorts too, refill my creative well by giving me a different kind of boost. There's a great sense of achievement in writing a short story that works, and that motivates me for the longer stuff. It all generates bits of paper and email though – busy stuff! All good, but busy. Now that I have a clearer idea of what I’ll be working on for the second half of this year, I’m trying to block off days where I do nothing but write, and live that dream too. Naughty, greedy me.

Hope you’re all having a good weekend. It’s pleasant and sunny again here in Yorkshire, and we’re off out shortly to PARTY and celebrate the latest contract. Got to mark that magic event. Woohoo!!