Wednesday, May 31, 2006

New publication: LESSONS IN LOVE

LESSONS IN LOVE is now shipping from Amazon. This is the third book in the Bold Strokes lesbian erotica anthology series, “Erotic interludes.” Edited by Radclyffe and Stacia Seaman, it’s absolutely jam-packed, with over 30 stories, and it includes my new story, “Making it Easy.”

"Making it Easy" is special to me. It takes place in Yorkshire, for a start, and features a woman who works on a mobile library. Along the way -- and when she least expects it -- she meets and falls for the postmistress in a small village. Time for a confession. I’ve always been smitten with the idea of working in a mobile library on the Yorkshire moors. Oh yes, it was one of my (many) dream jobs, and every time I see a mobile library out on the road I get a little frisson of pleasure, as if it represents a secret other life. How mad is that? Bet you thought my dream jobs would all be much more glam, well, there you have it. I don’t know, it combines my love of books with my love of the countryside, and factors in outreach to others, too.

The stories in this collection are under the theme of lessons, as indicated by the title. In mine, the lesson is about letting go, trusting desire and instinct, not thinking it through so much we trip ourselves up on fear and insecurity. In short, my librarian is shy, my postmistress helps her overcome it! One of the things I love to do in fiction is have people meeting their ideal matches in the most unlikely of circumstances, because I think that’s often what real life is like. When you’re single, you can wish and wish and hunt and hunt, and then when you give up… bang! They’re there and you’re wondering if you said something stupid before you noticed them smiling over.

Anyway, less waffle and more work needed here, so off I go to my WiP. Meanwhile, click through if you want to take a look at this new one. Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.