Sunday, April 13, 2008

Where do you get your ideas? Problem girls to the rescue

"Where do you get your ideas?" is a popular question to ask an author.

Many years ago (around about 1995, yikes,) I went to a horror reading where an author sent up this question in a very amusing way. I actually went to the reading to hear Kim Newman, a fave of mine (and I confess to having a bit of a crush on him at the time. I was in my intellectual-Victoriana-goth phase, and I have to say he was perfectly adorable about my starstruck approach for a book signing, bless him.) One of the other authors (whose name escapes me right now - hey, I had eyes only for Kim, remember ;-) told this story about how he got his ideas from the "horror bag" of sweeties/candy you can get at the fairground. He opened up a bag and explained how each item related to one of his books. It was a very amusing anecdote.

Anyway, I'd long forgotten this event, until I was browsing for something on the net the other day and came upon THIS image. It made me giggle, cos it struck me that it was packed with ideas for the naughty erotic writer! Take a look, you've got it all... bad girls, BDSM, deviancy, bondage, knife play, men(!) fire AND water sports... all that and she has money, too! I think I might have to print it out and put it on my notice board. :0)