Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Back to work

I hope you had a wonderful Easter weekend. For us it went by in a rush of partying and catching up with old friends, but I think it did me the world of good to get away from the PC for a couple of days. I’m about to get stuck into my fantasy writing project for Juno books, the revised and expanded novel version of The Strangeling. I’m really looking forward to this project.

Yesterday we met up with old friends, Simon, Sarah and Caitlin, and they are big fantasy readers. They brought me a copy of Raymond E Feist’s Fairie Tale, since Simon said it has themes in common with The Strangeling and thought I'd enjoy it. It looks fascinating, and I’m torn between reading it right now, and worrying about whether it’s going to influence and distract me. Funny thing though, as I looked at it I realised I've always been drawn to fantasy written by female authors, in particular Storm Constantine, Tanith Lee, Patricia McKillip, Ursula Laguin, and Frieda Warrington. I’ve never really thought about it, but wondered if there is a subconscious reason why. My guess is(and I cringe as I admit it) I steered towards female authors as an adult where I assumed there'd be less chance of talking gnomes and odd techie things I’d struggle to understand. Dreadful sexist assumption to have to admit, but there you have it. (I'm laughing away here.) Anyway, maybe Raymond Feist will cure me of this strange affliction. ;-)

And in other fantasy news, my lovely man treated me to a DVD of Narnia, something I shall be indulging myself in this week - not only to wallow in the fantasy imagery, but to indulge my total crush on Tilda Swinton. ;-)