Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Hi ho, hi ho…

I’ve been a busy bee here. I’m glad to say I managed to keep doing a little word count each day on my current project throughout the holidays. If I don’t connect with my writing I get out of the swing very easily and it’s sooooo hard to get back in. Even a paragraph or some notes helps. So what have I been up to? I’ve been plotting out two new novellas I’ll be slotting into the timetable for 2006. I’m also pressing ahead with the novella outstanding for December, AGAINST THE GRAIN.

AGAINST THE GRAIN is a speculative fiction futuristic, set in a society where homosexuality is the norm and heterosexuality is seen as a throwback to ancient times. My story follows two couples that break free from their society because they have fallen in love with members of the opposite gender. This was originally a short story called “Delfidian” which some of my readers may remember from the SEXTOPIA anthology (a Circlet Press book edited by Cecilia Tan.) It was my way of looking at the controversy over gay and lesbian marriages, turning it on its head to shed new light. It always fascinated me and I’m enjoying playing the story out to its full potential.

In other news, there's a new review for the STIRRING UP A STORM anthology! Many of my readers know this was a big moment for me in 2005, having a short story published in an anthology with writers like Margaret Atwood and Lauren Henderson (faint!) Click here to read the review.

Hope you’re all well and looking forward to the ongoing festivities of the New Year weekend!